Makes 24 stuffed mushrooms
Green Garlic Confit (Molly Wizenburg's method)
- 1 1/2cups quarter inch sliced green garlic stalks (I had about 14 medium)
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1/4cup water
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- In a small sauce pan with a lid, melt the butter and add the sliced green garlic, water and salt. Cover and gently cook the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring often until the liquid is almost all evaporated. This should take about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool a bit while you prep the mushrooms.
For the mushrooms and stuffing
- 24white or brown button mushrooms, caps about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4ounces softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- The green garlic confit
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms (save for another use) and then clean the mushrooms with either a mushroom brush or wipe them with paper toweling.
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl and toss them with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then place them, cap side up on a baking sheet. In a pre heated 425F oven, roast the mushrooms for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn them over. Lower the oven temp to 350F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, panko, parmesan and green garlic confit. Distribute the filling into the mushroom caps and then drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over each mushroom.
- Roast the filled mushroom caps at the 350F temp for about twenty minutes or until the filling just begins to brown. Let cool for a minute or two before enjoying warm.